Clogged toilets are one of the most common plumbing problems that homeowners face. While a clog may seem easy to solve, it can quickly become a major headache if not handled correctly. Instead of immediately calling for a clogged toilet repair, you can try five DIY solutions before reaching out for help. Read on to learn more about these simple and effective methods for fixing your clogged toilet!
1. Try a Plunger: When it comes to clogged toilets, the plunger is your best friend! To use it correctly, ensure you have a good seal, then pump the plunger up and down for 30 seconds. If this doesn’t do the trick, move on to step two.
2. Clean Out the Trap: If a plunger can’t fix the clog, you may have to remove the toilet’s trap and clean it out manually. To do this, disconnect the water supply hose from the bottom of the toilet bowl, unscrew and remove the metal screws holding the trap, and then clear away any debris.
3. Use a Toilet Auger: A toilet auger is a specialized tool that can often break up stubborn clogs in the trap and pipes. To use one, feed it into the drain hole until you come across the obstruction, then turn the crank handle to clear the blockage.
4. Try Baking Soda and Vinegar: If you have an especially tough clog, a combination of baking soda and vinegar may be just what you need. First, pour four cups of boiling water down the drain to loosen any material caught in the trap or pipes. Then, add half a cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar. Let this sit for an hour or so before flushing the toilet.
5. Try a Chemical Toilet Cleaner: If your clog is caused by buildup, use a chemical toilet cleaner to break it up. Be cautious when using these cleaners—ensure your bathroom is well-ventilated and wear gloves to protect yourself.
These are five solutions you can try before calling a plumber for help with your clogged toilet. With a little effort and the right materials, you can save time and money by tackling the problem on your own. However, if things get too tricky or complicated, don’t hesitate to call for expert assistance!