Essay writing is probably one of the first writing forms that are taught to students. It all begins with writing about your best friend, your favorite book, etc. But the complexity level of these academic essays keeps on growing with time. As time passes, students are taught how to format an essay, what structure needs to be followed to write an essay. How many paragraphs must be included, how to introduce and conclude your essay, etc. Nowadays, in most of the world’s curriculum systems, teaching essay-writing is of utmost importance and essay-writing skill is one of the basic skills in schools (H., 2016).
In fact; mastering the art of essay writing is not as easy as it might seem. Students often think that it is the assignment writing that they should worry about but they forget the importance of essay writing. This post is dedicated to the way of writing an essay, the role of essay writing in the academic world, and its importance.
An essay is mostly defined as a short piece of writing on a particular topic. And that particular topic is vividly explained in the essay. However; there are some times when an essay can be as long as 5000 words. As well so its range might vary from 500 to 5000. The purpose of an essay is to understand the perspective of the writer. Toward the topic through this form of writing.
Students often get overwhelmed when an essay is assigned to them which is why they opt for the best college essay writing service from professional writers and even though it is fine to take professional help still, students must be familiar with the concept of writing as well, especially essay writing. The perfect essay must cover the whole topic within its embrace beautifully. As Virginia Woolf once said;
“A good essay must have this permanent quality about it; it must draw its curtains around us, but it must be curtains that shuts us in not out.”
Types of Essays:
Writing is the easiest thing if you are not afraid to put your thoughts across. As it is said; the scariest moment is always just before you start so once you begin writing then nothing can hold your pen. It is the first step when you think either there is nothing to write or there is a lot to write so students just need to take that one step. There are four main types of essays which are as follows;
- Narrative essays.
- Descriptive essays.
- Expository essays.
- Argumentative essays.
Each of these types has its own subcategories. You might have read swot analysis of KFC or any other such organization, they are all different forms of essays.
How to write an essay?
There are some general rules that are followed while writing every kind of essay, these rules are as follows;
- Try to comprehend the question or the topic of an essay and think of all the data that you can collect to prove your point.
- The structure of an essay is divided into three main parts, including;
- Introduction; this is the initial part of an essay and it touches on the main statement. It gives a slight background of the topic and hints about what an essay is going to be about so that a reader would know what he is going to invest his next five to ten minutes in.
- Body; this is the largest part of an essay which is going to discuss the topic. The topic is gradually unfolded with pieces of evidence, the writer’s point of view, and discussion.
- Conclusion; this is going to be the final statement of the essay so conclude your essay brilliantly by summing up the answer to the question that was asked you. In this part of the essay, you will explain the genuine part of the question (Editor, 2022)and what you conclude about it.
- It is always better to write the main body first, and later on, come to the introduction and conclusion.
- If you get astray from the topic once you start writing then try to make the key points of all the things you need to add before you start writing.
- It is okay if you can’t complete the essay in the first go, take time and write it with a clear mind.
Role of an essay in an academic world:
Essays are meant to inform the reader about a particular topic.
It is the role of an essay to be convincing enough to persuade the reader toward the writer’s perspective.
Essays are meant to entertain the reader by enlightening him with new knowledge and points.
- INCREASED UNDERSTANDING:
Essay writing helps students by increasing their understanding of a certain topic.
- IMPROVED LEARNING:
Essay writing which helps the students in the process of learning.
- BUILDS CRITICAL JUDGEMENT:
It builds the critical judgment of students so that they can have their problem-solving and logical thinking capacity.
Enables the students to explore different ideas and topics.
Essay writing allows students to express their feelings regarding a particular topic.
- DEVELOPS WRITING SKILLS:
The more you write the more you develop your writing skills so essay writing also helps in developing the writing skills of the students
- ASSESS STUDENT’S GROWTH:
Essays help helps the tutor to assess the student’s growth and evaluate his performance in the class.
“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Albert Camus
An essay is a short form of academic writing which is meant to improve the writing skills of a student plus enhance the understanding of a student towards a particular topic. Other than these; there are many other benefits of essay writing in the academic world. Hopefully; the above-mentioned post will help the students to understand essay writing and its role in academics.
Editor, P. (2022, May 18th). How to Answer “To What Extent Essay” Question. https://www.professionalessayservice.co.uk/how-to-answer-to-what-extent-essay-question/ .
H., G. M. (2016). A COMPARATIVE REVIEW OF THE CURRICULUM OF TEACHING ESSAY-WRITING IN THE SECONDARY EDUCATION SYSTEMS OF GERMANY AND IRAN. JOURNAL OF CURRICULUM STUDIES , 11 (41), 99-128.